miércoles, diciembre 22

3 spices...what are they?

Ok, so I know this was in the last posting...but I'm gonna post it again and ask for responses! This is a question I've been casually asking friends for the last few months, and I really should have started writing down responses.

Drum roll......

The Spice Question: If you could only have 3 spices , what would they be? Salt & onion don't count in your 3, but garlic & pepper do, as do all other herbs & spices.

I've gotten a lot of different responses so far--please tell me yours! So far the most popular spices (in my oh-so-unscientific memory) are basil, cumin, garlic, and a few others.

Tell me yours!

Random thought of the hour: It's such a luxury to not have a schedule & be able to stay up doing this late or go to bed early as I please. Crazy to be able to set my own schedule--stay tuned to see where it settles.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

>>All right.

If I was cooking for people with this stash:
cumin, coriander, and turmeric

But just spices I love?
pepper, thyme, and a good hot sauce. That could make up a good
Jamaican dish if needs be, plus a little allspice.

Salt is assumed, yes?

toe-mom-uss

22 de diciembre de 2004 a las 8:27 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

oregano, cumin, and basil

sarah t.

24 de diciembre de 2004 a las 3:54 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

cath,

I really have to argue that onion & garlic are so closely related that either both or neither should be given. Salt is good, though, as it's a necessity of life.

So assuming garlic is with onion,

cinnamon, cumin, and basil.

And...I think we've had this conversation already, but I wanted to let you know I'm looking at your blog!

And I LOVE Vancouver!

-dg.

25 de diciembre de 2004 a las 7:39 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Garlic, Basil, and Cumin. Hands down. Adobo is nice, as is spike, but both are blends of spices, not spices themselves.


Two notes on this:

Though this is the list Cathy has down as the favorites, she asked me this on the phone weeks ago. So don't think that I'm emulating the favorites. Heck, I helped to shape the favorites!

Devon is silly to argue that garlic doesn't count if onion doesn't count. Because, well, we all know Dev is silly, right?

A third note would be that it's very odd that I'm commenting on Cathy's blog with Cathy sitting next to me. Ahhh, how technology brings us closer together...

[cathy laughs]

-mgb

29 de diciembre de 2004 a las 9:55 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

1) garlic
2) cumin
3) chile (red pepper flakes or fresh chile- assuming these don't "count")

and then it's a fierce competition between rosemary, basil, nutmeg, and cilantro... assuming that "herbs" (ie green leafy) are part of "spices" (seeds & pods/fruits like chiles)

3 de enero de 2005 a las 7:16 p. m.  
Blogger Leo said...

You know Cathy, such musings consume more time than they should...

Unlike Matt, I tend to agree with Devon that garlic should be exempt if onions are. Seeing that we can't always make our own rules or get our way:

1) garlic
2) pepper
3) basil

As tempting as it was to list cardamom, saffron and hing, I figured that it was more honest to choose ones I actually use on a regular basis as opposed to once a year.

You know Cathy, if you want to have people be honest and to see some interesting results, you should ask for top 10.

Cheers.

3 de enero de 2005 a las 8:27 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

OK, I'm gonna go with:

(1) Garlic. Like everyone else, it's pretty essential.
(2) Basil. Esp. fresh basil, yumm.
(3) Ginger. Beyond the first two, it really depends on what I'm making, but this one seems to come up a lot.

Are you going to compile the results?

-Tim D.

28 de enero de 2005 a las 1:54 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home