jueves, mayo 29

Day 3 of CPE

Three days down, X days to go (yes, I majored in math--but first off that means I can't do arithmetic, and secondly I'm too tired to multiply 10x5 + 2 - 3...ok, that's 49).

I'm exhausted - not a bad thing, just a matter of continuing to adjust to being on East Coast time, to going to bed by 10:30 so I can get up at 7, waking up at 5 when the sun comes up, and of course, I've been inundated with information and people for the last 3 days! I've learned about infections & cleanliness, Code calls (fire, heart, trauma, disaster, bomb threats, etc), HIPPA, security, mission, Catholics, hazardous materials, back safety, electrical safety....

Plus I've had tours and met a gajillion people at St. Francis Hospital (a 617 bed Trauma 1 Catholic hospital), St. Mary Home (a nursing home with long term & short term care), and The McAuley (a senior independent living facility with some assisted care).

Phew.

Yesterday we each had to choose 2 units from the 30 or so at the 3 facilities. I'll be in the ED ("Emergency Deparment", cuz it's not just a room, ie, ER), in the Alzheimers/Dementia wing of St. Mary Home, and the assisted living floor of McAuley (yes, I know that's actually 3 units....)

Today we did some roleplays on how to introduce ourselves to patients, then we went to our units (nope, we didn't talk about what to do after introductions!). Mostly I talked with the Chaplains who cover my units, so I didn't have to/get to talk to many patients. I won't be able to say much here about patients that I do talk to because of confidentiality.

I'd say I'm doing pretty well so far....and I'm looking forward to signing up for a pool membership and getting some exercise this weekend. The weather is gorgeous and it's SO GREEN here, and Mom & Dad are fun to be with (and feed me!).

1 Comments:

Blogger Cassandra Maris Howe said...

Hey Cathy- loved your description of the Memorial day parade... yes, quite a different scene than you've had in the bay area for the past decade at least! The streets and masses of people may be the same, but the purpose and lyrics probably a lot different...
Life is good here, a LOT of moving going on with J moving out, and pretty much everyone is moving... have fun swimming and cpe-ing, and hangin' with your folks! Cassie

30 de mayo de 2008 a las 3:35 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home