martes, julio 22

Until the killing of black men, black mothers' sons....

Living in Oakland, I'm aware of violence and killing of mostly black & brown young men - but I've never known anyone who's been hurt, never been directly impacted by it. Responding to trauma calls as a chaplain here in Hartford, however, my colleagues and I witness the impacts of street violence firsthand. Wow. I'm horrified and outraged - both at what's happening and at how little attention I've paid to similar violence at home in Califas.

Here are the stories in the paper of cases that came to our hospital just from the last 5 days:

Thursday night: Two Women Injured In Hartford Stabbing

Friday night:
Police: Teenager Attacked Stepsister
(and, on the lighter side, though still not minor, Two State Troopers Hurt In Accident

Saturday night:
3 Dead In Hartford Incidents Over The Weekend

Jakeem Jaquan Tully, RIP

Monday night:
Seventeen-Year-Old Suffers Neck Wound In Hartford

May all those impacted by all of this violence heal in body and spirit,
May they be surrounded by comforting love,
And may all find and create peace, from the North End of Hartford to Baghdad.